Adoption & Foster Care
Adoption and foster care therapy services are specialized mental health services designed to support individuals and families involved in the adoption or foster care process. These services aim to address the unique emotional, psychological, and relational needs that arise from adoption or foster care experiences, for both children and adults involved.
Here are some aspects of adoption and foster care therapy services:
1. **Pre-Adoption Counseling:** This type of therapy helps individuals or couples considering adoption to explore their motivations, expectations, and readiness for adoption. It may also involve discussing the potential challenges and adjustments involved in becoming adoptive parents.
2. **Post-Adoption Support:** Therapy services for adoptive families provide support after the adoption process is complete. This can include helping parents and children navigate attachment issues, identity formation, grief and loss, and any behavioral or emotional challenges that may arise.
3. **Foster Care Transition Support:** Therapy services for children entering or leaving foster care focus on helping them cope with the transitions, losses, and trauma they may have experienced. Therapists work to provide stability, emotional support, and coping skills to help foster children adjust to new environments and relationships.
4. **Attachment Therapy:** Attachment-focused therapy helps children and parents build secure and healthy attachment bonds. This type of therapy is particularly important for children who have experienced disruptions in attachment due to adoption, foster care, or early trauma.
5. **Trauma-Informed Therapy:** Many children in foster care or who have been adopted have experienced trauma or adverse childhood experiences. Trauma-informed therapy addresses the effects of trauma on mental health and helps children and families heal from past wounds.
6. **Family Therapy:** Family therapy can be beneficial for adoptive and foster families to improve communication, strengthen relationships, and address any conflicts or challenges that arise within the family system.
7. **Support Groups:** In addition to individual and family therapy, support groups provide a valuable resource for adoptive and foster families to connect with others who share similar experiences, share resources, and receive emotional support.
Overall, adoption and foster care therapy services aim to provide a safe and supportive environment for individuals and families to process their experiences, build resilience, and develop healthy coping strategies to navigate the complexities of adoption and foster care.
Join National FREE Support Groups at
CELIA CENTER - CLICK HERE
Adult Adoptee Support Group- Virtual
Birth First Parent Support Group
Adoptive Foster Parent Support Group
Adoption & Addiction Support Group– Virtual
Child & Family Play Support Group - In-Person
Los Angeles and Pasadena